Our goal for the week is to bring the theme to life in the classroom and help our kids think about the healthy choices they can and do make everyday.
This year we have focused our themes around the idea of Mindfulness and raising our childrens’ awareness of what they are doing, and how it is feeling. We want the students to gain a new understanding not just about what healthy choices are, but how they are going to make them. We hope that your child will share this information with you and incorporate their knowledge at home.
· Monday– Healthy Choices for Mind and Body. The focus will be on some understanding how the brain works and that will help to make healthy choices. They will learn about the “Guard Dog” (amygdala) and the “Wise Old Owl” (prefrontal cortex). Ask your student how deep breathing can help the ‘owl’ think and remember clearly.
· Tuesday– Nutrition and Mindful Tasting. Students will have opportunities to think about their choices around eating and nutrition. In class, the students will savor a single raisin for at least a minute in their mouth and then discuss the texture and flavor changes. At home, try taking a few minutes during mealtime to discuss how the food tastes and makes you feel. Make it fun and lighthearted. Slowing down will help messages from the stomach reach the brain to determine if you are full or not.
· Wednesday– Take A Deep Breath. The day will start with breathing and stretching in the Oak Room from 8:10-8:25. All are invited, including parents and teachers. Ahhh….
· Thursday– Mindful Choices. By focusing on mindful listening and asking ourselves what is going on in our environment and within ourselves, we are more likely to make healthy choices. Try a walk outside and note the different sounds you hear. Remind them that many sounds exist all the time, but we don’t hear them until we stop to listen. Discuss how this awareness can help when making choices.
· Friday– Fun Run. The students will have a great time running and being active at this annual event. Mick Coane and Niki Flanagan are coordinating this activity.
Information and activities for Healthy Choices Week are based on the book, 10 Mindful Minutes by Goldie Hawn. Ms. Hawn’s foundation, MindUp has done extensive research over the last 10 years on teaching children skills to manage stress and help them be optimistic and happy.
We have attached a brief list of some of their findings. A group of parents read and discussed the book last year and found it very understandable and easily translated to the home and classroom. We encourage you to take a look at the book. The Stephens Family has made a generous donation of these books for teacher use and put several in the LP Library for parents to check out.
Our children have the tools to make healthy choices readily available and built right into their body. Our hope is that they understand how to use them and put them to work each and every day.
Healthy Choices Week Healthy Choices Week
LP PTA LP PTA